Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering

Five years ago, I was just starting my US-2 experience
training for the job.
On a break from the employment readiness program,
a co-worker told me about the planes that his buildings
and the theories that had begun to formulate.
I sat in my car and listened to NPR
until I had to go back inside.

I held a prayer vigil the next night
in the parking lot of the shelter
where I lived and worked.

That Sunday,
I went to the big steeple church downtown.
We sang patriotic hymns and
in the sermon the minister repeated the phrase
"America will prevail."
I did not feel better.

I felt detached in the next weeks.
I had no tv access, so I missed the onslaught of images.
I bought newspapers and magazines.
I listened to NPR.
I tried to understand, to get a sense of what was happening.

I was learning about the business of social work,
working with homeless parents,
playing with precious kids,
talking with volunteers.
The work I came to do
did not change because of the attack.

Almost two years later,
I hobbled around NYC on crutches,
my right knee recovering
from being crumbled when I crashed my car.
I stood with Kristin at the site
trying to glimpse the hole where the towers had been.
I sat in the church across the street
that had housed, fed, and cared for the rescue workers.
I shook my head at the tables
where people sold souveniers.
I took a picture with some firemen
and construction workers.
I didn't make eye contact
with the machine-gun toting police officers.


My life has changed in the last 5 years.
Then, I was just learning about homelessness
as an accidental missionary.
Now, I'm taking a non-profit leadership class
in seminary.
Then, I was the resident manager in a shelter/self-sufficiency program.
Now, I am a campus minister and theology student with 2 roommates.
Then, I had just moved to Tallahassee.
Now, I've been in Atlanta for over 2 years.
There are other differences.
I'm not ready to talk about all of them.
But some are wonderful, and some make me really sad.

Time passes.

1 comment:

  1. I think a sign I saw on my way to work sums up September 11th so well, and so simply. On the entrance ramp to the Northbound BQE (Brooklyn-Queens Expressway) from the westbound Queens Blvd, is a sign someone posted with a flag in the upper right corner and 9-11 written on the bottom left. And in the diagnol from upper left corner to the bottom right corner are three words.

    "IT STILL HURTS"


    Nothing more needs to be said.


    For now.

    ReplyDelete