Sunday, September 18, 2005

The Best and Saddest Concert

Get ready for an abridged play-by-play.
And then some lamenting about the passing of my youth and favorite band.


Jump Little Children is doing their "Last Hurrah" tour,
and I went to the Atlanta show last night at the Variety Playhouse.

The show was perfect.
They started out playing recent stuff off Dim and the Dark (Rains in Asia, Mexico, Education),
played some rockin' songs from Magazine (My Guitar, Not Today, Say Goodnight),
and some vintage JLC (Cover Me/Dancing Virginia).
Matt did a couple of his songs (Body Parts, Habit, You and Me), and Jonathan soloed on the upright bass.

There were four encores.
They played Cathedrals in the first one, and seemed to have planned for a second encore.
At the end of the second encore, they bowed theater-style and walked off stage.
After a couple minutes of screams, they returned for the 3rd encore, which Jonathan said was "probably the most authentic encore we've ever done."
They unplugged the instruments and turned off the mics and the whole crowd stood silent while they played Down Where She Lies acoustic.
Jump left again, and we did not.
So, Jay came out alone and played my very favorite of their songs, Close Your Eyes.


This is my favorite band. This might be the last time I see them play all together.

They have a million side projects, and they are in each other's side projects. I saw Ward play solo this summer, and it was very different but very cool. I am sad to see Jump go, though Dave says they don't really mean it.

I first saw Jump in February 1997 at Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC with Scott and Abby. Guster opened for them. Jonathan was still in the wifebeater phase, not yet to the crazy wax mustache. Matt had a feather boa -- pink, I believe. I've seen them several (like 6 or 7)times since then, twice at this same venue within the last year. Tallahassee was far from their shows, so I had to catch up...

Anyway, I am a big dorky fan. I obviously remember well the first time I saw them. I saw Ward walking down the street in Little 5 Points before the show, and I almost ran back to talk to him. I did accost Jonathan to autograph the tour posters I bought.

And I am sure I will frame them.

No comments:

Post a Comment