Thursday, August 09, 2007

Hm.

Um, tonight I watched three new reality tv shows.

Scott Baio is 45... and Single
The Pickup Artist
Who Wants to be a Superhero

They were,
shall we say,
quality.

Why does reality tv suck us (and obviously I mean me) in?
Is it because we can relate to those folks?
Scott Baio is trying to figure out why he can't commit.
8 normal guys are on The Pickup Artist because they're scared of women.
A bunch of grown ups wear spandex and take Stan Lee's challenges trying to be a hero.
Like many of us, these folks are looking for some secret to fulfillment, some brighter, shinier version of themselves.

3 comments:

  1. so...what's the diagnosis for The Real World? If these people are brighter, shinier versions of themselves, I'd hate to see them in real life. The first episode of the Sydney season (which I was forced to watch last night) includes lines such as these:

    "So you're Persian? ... So how did you do on 9/11?"

    "Oh my God! Well, she looks just like a teacher, so you knew she was going to be snotty right away."

    ReplyDelete
  2. No no. I didn't say they ARE brighter, shinier versions of themselves. I said they are looking for brighter, shinier versions of themselves in hopes that it will be fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:56 AM

    (FYI, I just read this post.)

    Two of those three shows you watched are pretty fascinating. (I had mixed feelings about the first season of "Superhero.") That Scott Baio progam is the best of them. I'm fascinated, but not necessarily impressed, that he would allow that much of his personal history to be aired on national television. I believe this week's episode is the finale.

    I enjoyed the debut of "The Pick Up Artist" but the next two episodes were kind of lame. That Mystery fella looks friggin' ridiculous and I hate the whole amulet system. Not only are the amulets themselves ridiculous but after each time he awards one he runs through the same meticulous observation: "As you can see...there are X amulets left...and only Y of you...so one of you...will be going home tonight." YAAARGH!

    On this week's episode, they're supposed to learn how to get random chicks to make out with them. I might have to take my notepad out for this one.

    -Dave Scott

    ReplyDelete