Friday, January 28, 2005

Ah yes.

So, I remembered why I wanted to come to seminary.
I had these beliefs
about faith and service and justice,
specifically about service and justice being
products of faith.
I felt assured, peaceful -- maybe too calm -- with my faith,
and felt that faith inspires the desire to serve others
and to see them treated well and healthy and happy.

So I had that idea
that was more like a foundation
for everything else for me.
And I didn't know where that came from.
Obviously, it came most directly from my minister parents,
indirectly from the lives of my grandparents,
and from the even more removed lives of
people like Martin Luther King, Jr. and Eleanor Roosevelt
who couldn't bear injustice
when justice could be so beautiful
so much closer to God's intention.

So I felt called through my faith to serve others,
and I could explain it
but I didn't know where my explanation originated.
I knew my dad read me theology books when I was little
but I don't remember who said what or why.

Well, today I'm reading Luther
and there it all is.
Just what I believe, right on the page.
I haven't finished reading
and there are some things I disagree with --
at least one snide sexist and anti-semetic remark --
but also there is the premise that guides me.
People are not destined to salvation/justification/righteousness
but they are not required anything more than faith,
and the works come as an expression of love to God and neighbor.
Works do not equal grace, but grace can/should lead to works.

I think that's right.

I wanted to figure out
why I believe
what I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment