Saturday, January 08, 2005

Back to the big city (and a reflection on pets)

ATL = home for me
right now.

After a whirlwind few weeks
it's nice to have a stable place to be.
Here's where I went:
ATL to Greenwood, SC
to Kershaw, SC
to Gainesville, FL
to Tallahassee, FL
to Saluda, SC
to Kershaw, SC
to Charleston, SC
to Kershaw, SC
to Columbia, SC
to ATL.

I had a nearly entirely lovely time
and saw lots of friends and family.
I gave presents and got presents.
I gave hugs and got hugs.
I laughed, I cried.

My favorite cat died this week.
The first George
who I got ten years ago
when my brother got diabetes and a puppy.
George was orange with long lovely fur
and a regal attitude and he was beautiful.
And he had a fluffy butt.
And in the sunlight his fur looked pinkish
and when we first got him my grandma kept saying
"silly pink cat! don't you know cats aren't supposed to be pink?"
For the last 5 or so years George lived with her.

I feel a bit odd about pet grief.
Makes me think of Natalie Portman
in Garden State.
We've had lots of cats
and a few dogs.
No pet cemetary, though,
but I bet there are lots of parsonages
with kitties buried under backyard trees.
And I've had two fish:
The Grand Empress Willemina
and Gabriel.

I'm not good at fish.
And I don't love dogs:
too much energy and need for assistance.
I don't want to have to take a walk
at someone else's whim.

But cats!
Cats I love.
Cats I can identify with.
Cats are independent but loving
adventurous but not afraid of a midday nap
beautiful and graceful and silly.

That's what I'm thinking
now
upon return to Atlanta
and reflection on George.





No comments:

Post a Comment