Saturday, February 26, 2005

So, I just looked at deadmule.com, and felt inspired to claim my dual citizenship


Why I could be a Southerner:
I watched “Glory” every year in high school history.

I’ve lived in 4 Southern states (SC, NC, FL, GA), which is four times the number of Midwestern states (MN).

I love porch swings. And rocking chairs. And a cool breeze on a late summer evening, visiting outside with friends. And ceiling fans. Anything that moves the air in the summertime.

I can distinguish between the three types of Carolina Barbeque, and yellow sauce kicks the sorry @$$es of ketchup-based and vinegar-based.

I left the parking lot of my high school graduation and drove four hours for a week at Myrtle Beach, complete with hours at the Pavilion and friends hauled off to jail.

My best friends include a jailer and a high school teacher.

I spent many a summer day so sweaty I didn’t care anymore.

I might not eat grits or okra, but I love me some bbq.

My summer time delicacy is a tomato sandwich: freshly picked, still warm from the sun tomatoes, wonder bread and mayo.

Cheerwine. Dear god, that stuff is good!


Why I’m still a Minnesotan at heart:
I was born in St. Cloud, and spent the first ten years of my life in little farm towns.

I know the proper response when someone asks if you want to “go with.”

I love cheese. And nearly all dairy products.

The Twins will always be my favorite baseball team. I waved my homer hankie during the ’87 and ’91 World Series, and cheered for Kirrrrrrrby Pucket, Kent Hrbek and Bert Blylevin. But my favorite play was Dan Gladden stealing home, or when he hit a grand slam.

I’m 3/8 Swedish, which is not bad. And my parents tried to make me dress up as St. Lucia and serve them breakfast in bed.

I remember eating krumkaka at Christmas, and I know what lutefisk and lefse are.

Snow forts and ice skating filled almost half the months of my childhood.

I’ve gotten used to overcooked vegetables, but I still prefer my green beans crunchy.

They are Rice Krispy “BARS” – not treats!

I still miss twilight and northern lights, even after 17 years in the South.

No comments:

Post a Comment