Thursday, March 10, 2005

4 pages to write

and I can't make myself do it.
I have read my friends' blogs.
I have checked and rechecked my email.
I went out to dinner.
I have played spider solitaire.
I printed out all my itineraries for my trip to NYC next week.
I watched the O.C.

Here's what I have to do:

type a page I already have written

skim 3 chapters on faith and health and write 2 simple pages

read another article

write a one page colloquy paper


Here's the ever-present question:
Does this really matter?
If I read these chapters about faith and health
and healing in the New Testament,
is that somehow going to help the guy I talked to
at The Carptenter's House last night
get medical attention without hours and days and lifetimes in the ER?
Is this going to give people choices,
real choices that are distinct and personal,
not "choices" limited by their social or economic status?
Is this going to help churches be more accessible for people with disabilities,
more willing to advocate for better healthcare for their members,
more able to address the needs for healing and wholeness
that seem to be engulfing people,
more willing to just stand beside people as they try to make sense
of their bodies shutting down or relearning daily tasks?

I hope the answer is yes, one day.
But we have not gotten to that point in the class
where we discuss practical application
of the terminology and models and charts and analysis.

Ah, back to work...

1 comment:

  1. I do believe that you are the best procrastinator that I have yet met. And that is truly saying something.

    ReplyDelete