Sunday, December 10, 2006

Just a Few Things

* Dana says I am a bluebird, if I were to be an animal that is. She says I am generally cheerful, and I flit from place to place. I contend that I am a cat. Evidently, I have a different image of cats than other people, because she said "nooo" and squished up her face in that Dana way. Here's my case: I like to climb things and I have a compulsion to try to fit into small spaces (like I always want to crawl under my desk in my office -- I know I would fit). Also, I have lots of energy and curiosity like a kitten, and I like to wander like an outdoor cat. Although I am usually pretty happy, I can be finicky and it's pretty easy to tell when I'm upset or unhappy (I don't hiss, but I may growl a little from time to time). I like to be near people (but I don't need to jump all over them like a dog, just graze them and perhaps get a bit of attention or affection, maybe curl up next to them). Although I like to be active and adventurous, I can lie on the couch for hours on end (usually watching some reality tv marathon or Gilmores on dvd).

* The Christmas party tonight at Wesley was fun, and we made a huge mess. Also, I am not good at estimating how much food we'll need. I have a really good group of students.

* I really like my Christmas tree. It's fake, but I so don't care because that just means I get to keep it. It has white lights and silver and red ornaments and a big star on top, and I love seeing it through the window when I get home and walk toward the apartment.

* It's really hard to find gingerbread houses, and even harder to find gingerbread people.

* My fingers and wrists hurt right now. They don't usually anymore, so it's startling. I wonder if the weather is changing.

* I'm excited about my plans for break. After spending Christmas in Florida with family, I'm hoping to head up to Virginia around New Year's to visit a lot of folks I know from different stages of my life who are all connected to this one commonwealth. I'll stop by G'boro on the way there or back and hopefully get to see a lot of wonderful people that I love and miss. And maybe I'll get to meet a Hokie chicken. ("You put your right wing in, you put your right wing out...")

* I'm going to need to watch some Christmas movies soon. Here's the list: It's A Wonderful Life, White Christmas, Love Actually, Home Alone, Mighty Ducks

3 comments:

  1. We should clarify that once you offered your reasons for being a cat, I conceded that a kitten might be appropriate. And what, exactly, is "that Dana way" that I have of squishing up my face?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you know. Like you do.

    Also, I DO fit under my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:19 PM

    hey i have also noticed a great shortage of the gingerbread peeps and accesories. my sis has decided to collect them like i collect snowmen....verrrry tricky to find. and also you have to be careful with the snow and ginger peeps bc sometimes they look kinda creepy....it's all in the eyes and how they are painted etc....

    ReplyDelete